Tuesday, August 23, 2005

see no evil, hear no evil, do no evil?

Admittedly, these past few days have been an 'interesting' one for me - a mix of disappoinment, surprise, despair, joy, exasperation and relief; one could say that I got more than what I bargain for when I came to KL on Sunday.

I have realized a long time ago that I am inclined to be a non-conformist and a bit of a rebel whenever I am in a group of people.

Even before some of my friends alerted me on the 'difficulties' and 'friction' that might arise in the course of my work with this certain group of people, I could foresee that it may not be a smooth sailing all the way to the end.

Add in my rebellious inclinations and I can say that my presence may even stir up a storm. With that forecast in mind, I have tried to exercise some restraint over the things I would say or do since the beginning.

It is often said that you cannot deflect a storm from its predetermined path, but you can only try to avoid being in its way. Therefore, the storm came and went just as predicted and I had the unfortunate experience of bearing the full force and brunt of it.

Some of my friends were slightly dissatisfied with the way some things are proceeding within a particular group and I agreed with what they have said.

Therefore, I decided to suggest a few things to give more structure to the group, streamline the division of tasks and point out to them the need for greater urgency. I also offered some of my personal views on the proposed meeting they were planning to have.

Considering what had indirectly transpired afterwards, I would say that I didn't regret saying the things I've said in the proposal but I regretted for not having to put them in a more tactful and less blunt manner; I would like to believe that the nature of my suggestions not the actual of my suggestions that might caused some discomfort among the other group members.

I have continually tried to remind myself that they would never be bothered by such things. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt by denying my fears that some of them might have been offended with my suggestions. Instead, I would like to believe that I am worrying over nothing and that all these fears are the result of my wild imagination and unchecked paranoia.

If my speculations are proven to be unfounded, then I should rightfully apologize for my behavior and will gladly remove myself from the group. However, if there is any indication otherwise, I will definitely consider removing myself from the group.

I intended none harm, said none harm and did none harm; if that is not enough to keep me within the group, I may be better of not being in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home