Monday, September 05, 2005

getting to know you

I had tremendous fun at the Freshers Camp in Tapah over the weekend.


I enjoyed minggling around with the juniors and just getting to know them. I derived great satisfaction from sharing my experiences and my naive and limited knowledge of life in London with them.

I guess I must have did more of the latter rather than the former because most of the juniors commented that I'm 'quiet but informative' - which makes me sounds like a computer or an information desk.

In addition, my mortal concluded for my letters to her that I might have disliked her; but I must admit that my first few letters to her were a bit impersonal by the usual standards. Anyway, I have apologized and cleared up the matter with her so I pray that no lasting damage is done.

I guess I'm just the kind of person who takes a much longer time to warm up to new people. But once I do, I think I'm quite an easy person to get along with - but I rather leave that judgement to my friends to make.

I mean, I am very sure of the validity of the first sentence but the second one is pure speculation on my behalf. I guess in the matters of the heart, incessant mutterings are sometimes more preferable than ambigious silence.

Apart from the juniors, I cherished the fact of being able to meet up with the seniors from my batch and the ex-committee members; I am happy because I was able to get to know some of them very much closer during the camp, more than I ever did in the past 9 months in London.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Joo Hong for being such a great, loyal and admirable company during the camp - from the moment I retrieve you from Wei Chieh in Ipoh till the very last day of the camp.

The same gratitude also goes out to Jian Jiao and Cheng Chun. I enjoyed those small talks we had either over breakfast or during BBBQ; it was great fun spending time with you guys and hope we could continue being close friends.

Thank you to Winston for allowing me to tease you about your weight; I would like to assure you for the umpteenth time that you are not fat and you should not worry unncessarily about it, because worrying can induce overeating in some people which will make you fat. Really.

Thank you to Song for bearing with my peculiarities, quirks and sheer incompetencies which I might have inadevertently exhibited throughout the camp. I am grateful to have you by my side.

Thank you to Stone and Wesley for giving a truly moving and fitting presentation of the Malaysian Night. I think your presentation did justice to the pure essence and drive of the production besides reminding us the great times we once had doing it.

Lastly, my highest congratulations to Chuan and Wei Chieh over the smooth and succesful running of the whole camp; your tenacity and enthutiasm have helped tremendously in making the camp a huge hit among the juniors and seniors alike.

I went to the Freshers Camp with hopes of forging close ties with the juniors and to share all that I could with them in preparation for their departure. But in the end, I discovered something that is not so external but equally important which I had nearly overlooked- the relationships I already had with my friends.

I have come to realize how lucky I am to be in their wonderful company and the many insights I've gained through my friendships with them. They have certainly made my life in London a lot less lonely and a lot more richer and meaningful.

It was an honour and a pleasure indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home