Wednesday, September 07, 2005

ad absurdum...

I sent my blog entry 'A Merdeka Thought' to the News Straits Times (NST), The Sun and The Star. The Sun published the whole complete article in its Merdeka Supplement section (31st August) on page 22.

However, the NST (1st September) published a very stripped-down version of my article, apparently focusing only on the Sepet and PGL bits of the article and removing the remainder of the article:

My article as published in NST 1st September

Naturally, it has attracted several responses, one which claims that my reasoning 'simply lacks academic anaysis':

A reader's reply to my published article (NST 6th Sept)

I would like to stress here that my original article was never meant to be a professional review of Sepet or PGL. If it was, I would written a more detailed (and longer) article than that in order to do the film justice.

If anyone have read the entire article here on my blog, they will know that the parts on Sepet and PGL are merely a vehicle for me to begin my article - it only makes up a quarter of the original article.

Indeed, the editors of theCICAK.com removed the references to Sepet and PGL because they felt that it was the weakest part of the article - which is mainly reflections on the state of our country. The edited version published in theCICAK.com could be read here.

In the original article, I touched on the issue of equal playing field among all Malaysians, the need for transparency, accountability and integrity before rounding it up with my evaluation on the survival value of the Malays.

All of this have been conveniently removed from my original article; even some of my comments about Sepet and PGL were unceremoniously deleted such as:

  1. Granted, some of the potrayals in the film might be 'enhanced' to increase its impact on the audience, but the potrayals draw their basis from real life facts.
  2. If the detractors for the movie felt the potrayals in the film repulsive, then they should re-examine and introspect their own self and ideals rather than channelling their disgust at the images reflected in the film itself. Besides, cleaning one's reflection on a mirror will not make one's face any cleaner. Could it be that the truth hurts so much that we couldn't bear to see and stare at our own reflection?
  3. I realized that some might oppose to the Sepet's win purely because it triumphs over big-budget movies such as Puteri Gunung Ledang; some people felt that the fact PGL is a big budget movie alone makes it worthy to reap the top prizes. Such reasoning only typifies the prevailing yet misguided Malaysian attitude of the 'most expensive is always the best.'
  4. However, we cannot deny our own reflection just as we cannot run away from our own shadow; either we confront it face-on or it will haunt us forever. Therefore, I believe that we can no longer remain ignorant to the slow decay of our country and its people.

I felt that comment no. 1 was very important because I admitted that some portrayals in the movie are slightly exxagerated to increase it's cinematic quality and that I am not taking the whole movie as it is.

The reasons behind the deletions of comments 2, 3 and 4 are a lot more easier to fathom, when you take into account the fact that it is being published in the NST.

Professor Datuk Dr Dyed Hussein Alatas lamented the lack of intellectual discourses among Malaysians in his recent interview with the Sun. When asked about ways to stimulate thinking, he replied, "The most important thing is the media. To talk in practical terms, the newspapers should have columns and try and get thinking people to contribute, do not impose any internal censorship."

Though I would hardly claim that my article was of an intellectual nature, I find that their decisions to irresponsibly edit my articles in such a myopic manner either shows that they are totally ignorant to the more significant points of my article or that they deliberately choose to delete those parts - the reason for which are only known to them.

Either way, it shows the lack of maturity and moral hindsight of the newspaper in carrying honest, provocative and engaging articles about the country to the public.

It would be very sad indeed if we could not count on the country's media to fulfill this responsibility of theirs.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Likewise, understand the frustration and exasperation because been there before. It is sad but true. That is how it is with our country when comes to facing the truth. As people would say, welcome to the real world.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I reckon we are not ready, not willing and not sincere when comes to being truthful and to openly discuss on our faults, weaknesses, shortcomings, et al. Yes, truth hurts but that is one way to "grow" beautifully together. If this is the response and treatment given in voicing our opinion then how are we going to grow.

Mind you, to be developed is not only by having high rises/sky scrapers, latest technology in any fields, nuclear submarine, etcetera, but most importantly the people to man it. People, who is the asset of any organisation, should be equally developed.

Development of the masses does only happen within the normal walls of education i.e. going through schools and universities years, but, outside those walls.
Every seconds of our life is a learning process. The mere daily interaction with people around us and things that surround us is important in human development.

We are here to learn from each other. That is why there are more than one race in the world. Imagine, what can you get from just one race? Yes, and then, there is the rainbows!

Keep up the good work, always!

2:27 AM  
Blogger Anang Adiwarni said...

Hmm.. IMHO, one thing u should learn from this is never send them a long article.

There's no need for so many 'bunga ayat' or otherwise they will cut the "unnecessary" parts and edit it into deviated craps. Be straight, simple yet concise because while u are thinking about intellectualism, they might be thinking about the space to put the articles, dateline to edit them etc (that's business..). Most of the times, intellectuals have to fit their big thoughts to accommodate smaller capacities of those less intellectual mentalities. I know ur points are good but I think before they ruin it, edit it yourself 1st..

I am not blaming u. I agree that we Malaysians are generally less intellectual in many aspects. And I humbly try to show u an alternative 'glass' so that u can see what can u do to fix this problem.

Good attempts anyway. Teruskan perjuangan!

12:53 PM  
Blogger wanaimran said...

to tell the truth, this is one article which i think i tried to be as concise as possible and i have a feeling that my piece was very taut.

and i felt that what they have removed aren't those 'bunga ayat' as you call it, but rather facts and observations.

not only they have removed 3/4 of the article but even the parts about Sepet and PGL i've mentioned in the article were edited; i've outlined the parts which have been removed in the post.

besides, if i were to write a movie review, do you think i would be foolish enough to make such bold statements without properly backing it up and acknowledging any opposite views? and knowing me, you would have expected me to write a longer article, won't you?

the failure to do so would be a grave sin indded ;-p

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your article at CICAK and found it well thought of, so I thought I did drop in this short note to encourage you to continue to write, as I myself hope to do, on all sort of Malaysian issues, so that we as Malaysians would continually critically re-examine ourselves instead of walling off and silencing off any criticisms and alternative ideas that might otherwise assist us in 'growing up' together as a people under one nation.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home