Tuesday, June 07, 2005

crossing the finish line in style...

The exams are ending soon for most of us here in Imperial (well, except the Biochem and Biotech students which have not even started their exams yet...) and I guess everyone is anxiously waiting for that precious moment when the invigilator will say 'Your time is up, please stop writing' at the end of their last paper.

I know I am; well, at least I think I used to feel that way. I think it's a measure how much you have changed when you start rethinking and questioning some of your previous preconceptions and your most cherished notions.

For instance, I used to be content with the fact that I wanted my exams to end as soon as possible and would definitely look forward to that momentus moment. However, lately I felt that that notion is only partly true; of course, I would still be happy when my exams are over but my happiness, or rather the degree of my happiness would also depend on how well I think I did in my papers. In fact, I think my happiness and my sense of relief would be significantly reduced if there is a looming concern in my mind that I have not given my best in my exams.

The sense of relief and joy one derives from merely completing the exams is short-lived and to a certain extent, superficial. Sure, it means that you do not have to slave over your notes and books anymore, desperately cramming till the very last minute. But, how long does the sense of joy from such 'release' would last?

Granted, one could be as happy as one wishes to be or celebrate any way one chooses when one's exams are over; I'm not saying it's a grave sin to do so.

But, isn't it more fulfilling, more satisfying if you honestly know that you have given your very best in the exams and confident that you will be able to obtain excellent results rather than being happy solely because you have finished sitting for your exams?

Therefore, for those who still have a long way to go in the exams, do not despair! Use the time you now have to truly prepare yourself for your exams and spare yourself from any regrets which you might have afterwards.

Unfortunately, human beings have this knack of giving more prominence to things that will give them instant joy and happiness rather than the things that could provide more lasting gains. And in a society which places more importance in superficial characteristics, it is certainly doubly difficult for anyone to try to look beyond the obvious.

I guess that's the thing that distinguishes those who truly thinks and those who does not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home